Thursday, August 26, 2010

Peachy Keen



What day is it? August something? And I'm making turkey stock? Yep. It's the holidays in the magazine biz, ya'll. Thanksgiving today, Christmas next week. So of course I brought home a turkey carcass from work today. Duh. Who wouldn't?!? Making turkey stock on an August afternoon is the most normal thing I can think of to do. (I must say, my apartment does smell pretty great.) But since I don't feel like making or eating soup, I'll probably just freeze it. Or maybe I'll bust out a turkey pot pie this weekend. You never know. What should I really do? Make some peach crisp!



Since we're in the final countdown to the end of summer, I need to get crackin'. I've been buying up all the end of summer produce as fast as I can. Not in the mood to make and roll out pie dough? No problem! Make a crisp. Does the texture of cooked peaches remind you of what you might have had out of the can circa 1979 and make you wanna vom? No problem! Don't make this! Peaches can get a little slimy when cooked. I say just make double the crisp topping and you'll be just fine.




End of Summer Peach Crisp
(Adapted from The New Best Recipe)

Topping
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/3 cup sliced almonds

Filling
6 medium to large peaches (about 2 1/2 pounds), peeled, pitted, and cut into wedges
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/4 cup granulated sugar

Vanilla ice cream, optional

1. For the topping: Place the flour, sugars, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl and stir to combine. Add the butter and cut it into the mixture with a pastry blender or fork until crumbly. Mix in the nuts. Refrigerate topping while preparing the fruit.

2. Preheat the oven to 375˚F. In a large bowl, toss the peaches, flour, zest, and sugar to combine. Transfer the fruit to a 1-quart baking dish.

3. Sprinkle the chilled topping evenly over the fruit. Bake for 35 minutes. Serve warm with ice cream, if desired. Serves 4.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Will you make this for me? Please? I will do anything!

WendyB said...

That looks goooood.

D&D said...

this i can handle.

but my lemon tart last night came out bad. am i supposed to not use the lemon rind when i food process it all? it didnt specify!