Monday, May 10, 2010

Cheap and Easy



Dude. I haven't purchased groceries or cooked a proper meal (at home) in a month! Seriously. I just looked at my past posts. That's a long time for me! The last meal I made in NYC was on Easter and the last meal I made elsewhere was while on my hut trip, and I was so high from the lack of oxygen I don't even remember it. Aside from going out here and there, all I've been eating for dinner are eggs, eggs, and more eggs. And the occasional bowl of cereal. Yes, I've baked, because that's how I procrastinate but I haven't done anything more interesting that that. In a week this insanity will all be over and I'll finally cook again. Hopefully. I'm sure the season premiere of True Blood will be a good excuse to make something interesting...

I did actually make lentils for dinner 2 nights in a row. For real. (That's what you do when you're me and there's nothing else to eat and you refuse to order in.) I realize that a normal person wouldn't eat a pile of lentils for dinner, but I'm not normal. This recipe would have actually been a great side dish alongside some roasted salmon, but, oh yeah, I didn't (don't) have any! As lame as they may seem, if you've ever been to Otto, they start to approximate the super delicious olive oil-y saturated version found there and this recipe is from Mario Batali's Simple Italian Food. All I think it really needs is MORE olive oil and a day to marinate in the fridge after cooking. Cheap and easy!




Simple Lentils
(Adapted from Mario Batali)

1 cup lentils
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 medium celery stalk, finely chopped
1/2 medium carrot, finely chopped
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1. Boil the lentils in 3 cups of water until tender (20 - 25 minutes).

2. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, celery, and carrot and stir for 1 minute. Drain the cooked lentils and add to the skillet along with the vinegar and rosemary. Bring to a boil, then remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cool to room temperature and serve. Serves 4 as a side dish.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

I saw "cheap and easy" and I thought you were writing about me!
I've eaten lentils for dinner, I don't think that's too crazy! Otto has some yummy little apps.

WendyB said...

I saw "cheap and easy" and I thought you were writing about Stacy!

JUST KIDDING, Stacy!

Now this really looks like a dish even I can make.

Tina said...

I was really writing about me! I mean Stacy! I mean me.

Parisbreakfasts said...

Looks and sound delicious..
Love love love lentils expecially the French ones...