Sunday, November 29, 2009

Chicken Soup for the Cold

Dude. This cold WILL NOT go away. First it's a sore throat. Then it's congestion. Then it's sinus pain. Then it's coughing. Then I lose my voice. Well, most of it. I'm screeching. Go away already, cold! You already ruined my mini-break, now don't ruin my wine class too! How will I smell or taste anything?

Since I've been under the weather but not entirely bedridden, I've managed to see three movies (Precious, An Education, Broken Embraces - I recommend them all!) in addition to loads of bad TV. I've also consumed more tea in the last week than I have all year. Why is it that cold drinks just don't cut it when you have a cold? Anyway, I decided that I had to make homemade chicken soup in my last ditch effort to feel better for my fabulous Monday back at work after a week off.

Since I was still missing actual chicken for my chicken soup, I roasted up another bird. (Had I posted this sooner it might have proved a useful way to use up your turkey leftovers.) Part of it was dinner, the rest...my soup. And I didn't really care for the pasta shapes that were lurking in my cupboard, so I went with some wild rice that I had kicking around. This is a very basic chicken soup, which is all I want when I'm not feeling well. Feel free to add a little of this or that according to your taste. I haven't sneezed in about 4 hours so I think I'm on the mend.




Chicken Soup with Wild Rice

1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large carrot, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup wild rice
2 cups chopped, cooked chicken
8 cups homemade chicken stock
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

1. Heat the butter and oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery, salt and pepper and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the rice and chicken, stir, and cook for 1 minute. Add the stock and simmer until the rice is fully cooked, 15 - 20 minutes.

2. Taste and adjust seasoning. Stir in the parsley and serve. Makes about 6 servings.


No comments: