Wednesday, December 2, 2009

It's Alive!

I apologize for my recent blogging lameness, but I'm finally off the couch! Yippee! I can actually breathe. Oh, and before I forget, now that I've actually been walking outside in the rain...golf umbrellas should be outlawed in NYC!!! How is it OK to walk down a sidewalk with a gigantic (potential) guillotine?!? It's so rude. We should all have to wear rain hats alla Paddington Bear. This chick looks pretty chic, no?

Whatever. It will never happen so I'll just have to accept being stabbed by people lacking in self awareness. And since I've been living off of soup and tea for the last week, I'll need some protein in order to refrain from grabbing those umbrellas and beating the owners over the head with them. (Golf umbrellas belong ON THE GOLF COURSE!) Fortunately my freezer is teaming with forgotten items like the two thick cut pork chops I found hidden beneath a whole bundt cake.




Saltimbocca (which when translated literally means "jumps in the mouth") is traditionally made with veal. But these days, because veal is so un-PC, it will often be made with chicken or pork. Typically the main protein would be wrapped in the prosciutto (and occasionally cheese) and topped with the sage, but I found a recipe for a stuffed version while combing through my files that would be great with these thick chops. What's better than pork wrapped (or stuffed) with pork? And if it's still raining later, maybe I'll throw the leftover pork rib bones at the giant umbrella toting morons.



Pork Chops Saltimbocca with Sauteed Spinach
(Adapted from
Gourmet)

2 (1-inch-thick) center-cut rib pork chops
2 sage leaves, chopped
2 thin slices Fontina
2 thin slices prosciutto (1 ounce)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 (10-ounce) bag fresh spinach
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Cut a deep, wide pocket in each pork chop. Sprinkle half of sage into each pocket and then stuff with the cheese and prosciutto. Season the chops all over with 1/4 teaspoon of each salt and pepper.

2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Cook the chops until the undersides are golden, about 2 minutes, then turn the chops over and transfer the skillet to the oven. Roast until cooked through, about 5 minutes.

3. While the chops cook, heat the remaining tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until pale golden, about 30 seconds. Add the spinach and cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted, about 3 minutes. Season with salt. Transfer the spinach and the chops to a platter.

4. Add the butter and lemon juice to the hot skillet that held the chops, stirring and scraping up the brown bits, then pour the sauce over the pork. Serve immediately. Serves 2.


2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I proudly wear my Yankee cap when it rains. I hate umbrellas too! If it is really bad though I do carry a mini one. It also double as a weapon against golf umbrellas. This looks amazing. I've never made pork chops and I'm going to give one a whirl. Glad you're feeling better!

D&D said...

i am making this tomorrow. you inspired me.

do you have any good polenta recipes? i'm at a loss.