Monday, June 22, 2009

What The?


While eating a plate of fried calamari tonight, my friend Megan told me about her local CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) delivery from Farm Spot. (That's how I roll. I talk about healthy food while enjoying unhealthy food!) Because she receives a weekly surprise box of produce that is based on the participating farms and the season, it's possible that she might receive items that she's never tried before or never even heard of before.

Megan's bounty this week included garlic scapes, kohlrabi and escarole, among other items. Scapes. Kohlrabi. Escarole. Really? Really? The funny thing (probably only to me) was that I had just recently prepared a bunch of scapes for the first time. While upstate at my friend Liza's house a few weekends ago (working on a construction project and enjoying the local eggs), I grilled some garlic scapes (courtesy of Liza!) for part of our construction time lunch break. (We're fancy. We don't just break for Doritos and Bud Light!) Scapes resemble scallions in size and shape, but with a garlicky flavor, so I threw them on the grill for about 2 minutes after tossing them with a bit of olive oil and a pinch of salt. They were delicious!

I'll be honest. I don't know anything about kohlrabi or what to do with it. I think it was a recent featured vegetable in Gourmet, but I could be wrong.



Escarole. I love Escarole. You typically see it in hearty winter dishes like a white bean soup or sauteed and tossed with pasta. I personally enjoy it as a salad, but I'm partial to greens like radicchio and endive so it's not surprising. (Escarole is actually part of the endive family.) Last summer I made an escarole salad every night for about 2 weeks straight. (See, I can be healthy too!) Try it (Megan). You'll like it! Just ask Mikey.

Escarole and Edamame Salad (from Gourmet)

2 cups frozen shelled edamame, cooked according to package instructions, drained and cooled
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 pounds escarole, trimmed and cut crosswise into thin strips
1/3 cup finely chopped fresh mint (optional)
2/3 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese

1. Whisk together the vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper in a small bowl until sugar and salt are dissolved. Add oil in a slow stream, whisking until combined.

2. Toss together the edamame, escarole, and mint (if using) in a large bowl. Add the cheese and drizzle salad with the dressing, then toss again. Serve immediately. Serves 4.

5 comments:

mega said...

thanks tina!
what would i do without you?? well....i would have a huge head of rotting escarole for starters.
please know you will be receiving weekly blog topic requests thru october!

Tina said...

I accept your challenge!

WendyB said...

Can't that place just send her normal vegetables? Sheesh.

Jennifer said...

That looks delic. I'm always up for a side salad. I once took a farmer's market food class and we got to pick out as much stuff as we wanted and the teacher helped organize a full menu. It was a lot of fun.

stef m said...

escarole is one of my faves -- i will have to try this. but it's actually hard to find out here. never at farmers' markets and not even in whole foods. it's the only vegetable that is easier to find in ny!