Monday, June 8, 2009

Easy Peasy

So I've decided that if you think you don't have a green thumb, all you have to do is plant mint. It seems to take care of itself and will flourish in your yard (or completely take over). As a result it will build your confidence as a gardener. Most everything I've ever planted has died, but I have a feeling that I could handle the minimal attention to mint that's required.

I've already written about making a minted simple syrup, as well as a lemonade, from a stash of mint that I got from my co-worker, Lisa. But since that was over a holiday weekend and I decided to skip town at the last minute, I didn't get to try the savory recipes that I had in mind. Fortunately while I was in the country this weekend, all I had to do was grab a pair of shears and clip myself a new bunch of mint to give it another go.

I originally found this recipe in
Bon Appétit. It's quite light despite the cream. I made some slight modifications to the recipe since I was just cooking for myself, but it will definitely serve two, or one plus extra for lunch the next day.



Creamy Pasta With Peas, Parsley, and Mint

6 ounces dried pasta (such as shells or penne-I used whole wheat)
1/2 cup heavy cream
6 ounces frozen peas (about 1 1/2 cups), do not thaw
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1. Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water, according to package instructions. Drain the pasta about 1 minute before the suggested cook time.

2. While the pasta is cooking, bring the cream to a simmer in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the peas and simmer until heated through, about 2 minutes. Add the 1 cup of cheese and stir until melted. Stir in the mint, parsley, salt and pepper. Add the drained pasta to the skillet and toss to coat. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve immediately with additional cheese as desired. Serves 2 well.


No comments: