Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Sun Dried


So I'm a little behind on my Mad Men viewing and blogging as I have been out of town, and will actually be missing in action again next week/end. (When I am occasionally cooking and not blogging, I can usually be found on Instagram as tinanders.) I think my next trip will provide some exceptional food and drink research. At least that is what I am calling it. Stay tuned!  

Anyhoo, my recent travels brought me to Colorado where I have been many times before, but this was my first time to Red Rocks Amphitheatre, probably most recognizable for the U2 Sunday Bloody Sunday video below.



Apparently when the amphitheater is not host to a concert, the venue turns into a personal outdoor gym! #onlyincolorado. I mean...I walked down to the stage and just stood there watching the insanity before me like it was some kind of performance art. It was mesmerizing! Dudes (and chicks) were jumping up the amphitheater seats, then crawling down, then hoisting themselves up the banks along the outskirts then running back down to do a million pull ups...and on and on and on! All at 6400 feet! I was exhausted just watching so adjorned to nearby Morrison for a few margaritas. And now that I am back home without much in the way of food, I scrounged up a few dry ingredients to make this sundried tomato pesto, a great topping on sandwiches, pastas or even eggs. And strangely the color of red rocks. A happy accident!










Sun Dried Tomato Pesto

1 cup drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes (about 6 ounces)
1/2 cup grated Romano cheese or Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried
2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
3 garlic cloves
3/4 cup olive oil
3/4 pound linguine pasta


1. Combine sun-dried tomatoes, Romano cheese, basil, pine nuts and garlic in food processor. With machine running, gradually add olive oil and process until smooth paste forms. (Can be made prepared 2 weeks ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

2. Cook linguine in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid. Combine 3/4 cup tomato pesto with reserved cooking liquid in same pot. Add linguine and toss over medium-high heat to coat, adding more pesto, if desired. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.

No comments: