Sunday, March 14, 2010

New Moon on Monday



Get ready. There's a new moon on Monday and if you're into astrology, that's pretty significant. New moons signify new beginnings and the fact that this new moon is in Pisces...well, I don't have any idea what that means. Regardless I plan to try harder to stop eating junk (this time I really mean it!) so I made some granola bars chock full of healthy things like flax seed and wheat germ. Full disclosure: It took all of my being to not add chocolate. (The new moon phase must already be working!) I'll also be listening to Duran Duran on repeat all day (the photo above is from a concert in Central Park a few summers ago) so if you walk past me at any point during the day and overhear the same song playing again and again, just keep going.

Shake up the picture the lizard mixture
With your dance on the eventide
You got me coming up with answers
All of which I deny
I said it again
Could I please rephrase it
Maybe I can catch a ride
I couldn't really put it much plainer
But I'll wait till you decide
Send me your warning siren
As if I could ever hide
Last time La Luna

I light my torch and wave it for the
New moon on Monday
And a firedance through the night
I stayed the cold day with a lonely satellite

What do these lyrics even mean???




Peanut Butter Granola Bars

1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup peanut butter
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
2/3 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/3 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
1/3 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup flax seeds
1/4 teaspoon salt

1. Preheat the oven to 325˚F. Combine the sugar, honey, butter, and peanut butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the sugar is dissolved and the butter is melted.

2. In a large bowl mix the oats, almonds, wheat germ, coconut, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, and salt.

3. Pour the peanut butter mixture over the oat mixture and stir to combine. Transfer to a 9 x 13-inch baking pan and press evenly.

4. Bake for 25 minutes. Cool for about 15 minutes before cutting into bars. Cool completely before removing the bars from the pan. Makes about 25 bars.


4 comments:

WendyB said...

Tonight I resolved to start taking an iron supplement. Could the new moon have inspired me?

Unknown said...

Mmmm, I love granola... but not as much as I love Duran Duran!!

Jennifer said...

Starting the day with peanut butter is always a good day!

Liza said...

girl, I'm into that new moon. and the barzz.