Sunday, June 11, 2017

Cold Sesame (Zucchini) Noodles




It's the start of a heat wave, or so I've heard, and I'm not about to turn on the oven. And I recognize that it would appear as if I haven't turned on the oven in the past 11 months!! I just realized while watching the French Open this morning, that my last post was in reference to Wimbledon. In July. Of last year. I obviously have a thing for eating while others are playing some hard core tennis. And I'm a super lazy blogger.

Rather than make something sweet today (I did actually get off the couch to go to the gym) I decided to jump on the zoodle bandwagon. For the record: 1. I hate the word "zoodle." 2. It would be a terrible band name. Anyhow...this recipe substitutes fresh zucchini noodles (totally uncooked!) for the more typical egg noodle, therefore saving a few extra calories and excess heat from your stovetop. 

I happen to have a really small spiralizer gadget from OXO so will occasionally make some zucchini (or other veggie) noodles because it doesn't take up a ton of space and it makes me feel healthy...until I pour another glass of wine. Add as much garnish and protein as you like to make this a more substantial salad. Note: The longer your zucchini sits in the sesame sauce, the more watery it will become. Good to know if your sauce is a bit thick. (Like me.) It will ultimately thin out. (I wish!)



Cold Sesame Zucchini Noodles

2 tablespoons sesame oil
1/3 cup tahini, peanut butter, almond butter or a combination
3 tablespoons soy sauce, or to taste
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon rice or white wine or other vinegar
2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
1 teaspoon minced garlic
Hot sesame oil, chili-garlic paste or Tabasco sauce to taste
2 large zucchini, trimmed and spiralized
2 medium carrot, trimmed and spiralized (if desired)
Optional: Sliced cucumber, cubed tofu, chopped peanuts, sesame seeds, hot sauce

1. Whisk together the sesame oil, nut butters, soy, sugar, vinegar, ginger, garlic and hot oil in a large bowl. Taste and adjust.

2. Toss zucchini and carrot noodles with the sauce. Garnish as desired. Serves 2 main portions or 4 appetizer portions.

3 comments:

Sherry said...

Welcome back! You've been missed. . .

chopralam said...

Hi,

Thanks for sharing this blog.





Particle Board Manufacturers in India

Bullion Jackpot Call said...

Nice and superb post of "cold sesame (zucchini) noodles"

MCX Tips
Commodity Trading Tips