Thursday, August 2, 2012

Hot Fudge

It's that fabulous time of the year when I post about ice cream, like here and here. First of all, it's hot outside so obvs one should be eating ice cream, but I've also come to realize that I am not eating enough of it! There are some super fantastic brands and flavors out there that I have sadly been allowing to pass me by. This disturbs me! Granted, I should really stick to celery and water for reasons that need not be explained, but a small taste of some real ice cream every now and then probably wouldn't kill me. Would it?

Any of my Ann Arbor peeps out there remember Stucchi's? I practically lived there. That place ruled! Coffee Toffee Fro Yo? Totes! My fave! White Russian Fudge ice cream? Oh. Yeah. Wish I had some for the hot fudge sauce of my youth, but the Hudsonville ice cream I had locally in GR did the trick. Now you can get another Ann Arbor fave, Steve's ice cream, now available in grocery stores. Try the Salty Caramel. You're welcome.

Sure, there are probably more elegant versions of hot fudge sauce out there, but you can't beat the speed and consistency of this sauce. I grew up on it and am still making it, so that must say something. Right? Enjoy.


Hot Fudge Sauce

4 ounces unsweetened (or bittersweet depending on how sweet you like your sauce) chocolate, chopped (about 1 cup)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
Ice cream, for serving

1. Add the chocolate and butter to a small saucepan and slowly melt over low heat, stirring frequently.

2. Add the condensed milk, vanilla, and salt to the chocolate mixture and stir to combine. Cook until hot and slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Serve immediately over ice cream. Or eat with a spoon.

1 comment:

WendyB said...

I. Love. Hot. Fudge. So. Much.