Wishing you were at the beach, enjoying some super tasty, fresh lobster? Me too. Why not fake a lobster roll with shrimp instead? It might not be the same, especially the relaxing at the beach part, but if you close your eyes tightly and try really hard, you can convince yourself otherwise. And it's actually quite delish, in spite of having to use mayo to dress it up. I'm so not a fan, but in this instance, it's an absolute recipe requirement. Incidentally I did actually see some nice looking lobster tails at Whole Foods last week, but my experience with their "fresh" fish has been iffy at best. Sorry. I love you Whole Foods, but your seafood offerings are seriously lacking in the quality department. I might have passed on the lobster this time, but not the beach. I will be there next weekend!
- Shrimp Salad
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and cooked
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced red onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1/3 cup good quality mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Lettuce or toasted hot dog or brioche buns
1. Divide the shrimp into two piles. Chop one pile into fine pieces and chop the other roughly, leaving large pieces. Place in a large mixing bowl.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, onion, chives, celery, mayonnaise, salt and pepper. Add to the bowl of shrimp and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve over greens or on toasted, buttered hot dog buns. Serves 4.