Sunday, July 10, 2011
Truly Cherry Pies
Remember crazy Maryann and her hold over Tara? And when she had taken over Sookie's house, Tara and Eggs ate a bloody souffle? Season two was a while ago...yet is the inspiration for this True Blood cherry pie post. And now Eric has finally lost his memory! Out with the old, in with the new!
Sour Cherry Mini-Pies with Brown Butter Almond Crumble
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen
One Basic Pie Crust for a 9-inch pie, store bought or homemade
For the Brown Butter Almond Crumble:
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
2/3 cup whole oats, ground to a flour in a food processor
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup sugar
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¾ cup unsalted whole almonds, coarsely ground in a food processor
For the Sour Cherry Filling:
2 ¼ pounds fresh sour cherries, pitted, or 2 pounds frozen sour cherries, partially thawed
½ cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
1. Roll the chilled pie dough into a 12-inch round. Cut out 6 (5-inch) circles. (You might have to re-roll some of the scraps.) Place each of the 5-inch rounds into 6 individual (4-inch) tart pans with removable bottoms. Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes, or place in the freezer for bout 15 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 375˚F. Make the brown butter for the crumble: Heat the butter in a small, heavy skillet over medium heat until the milk solids on the bottom are dark brown, about 6 minutes. Stir while the butter is melting to encourage the browning. You will know when the butter is ready by the nutty smell and the foam starting to recede. Transfer the brown butter to a medium heat-proof bowl to cool, making sure to scrape all of the browned bits on the bottom of the pan into the bowl. Set aside.
3. Make the sour cherry filling: Combine the cherries, sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium bowl, set aside.
4. When the brown butter has cooled a bit, add all of the remaining crumble ingredients. Stir to combine, and then use your hands to encourage clumps.
5. Assemble the pie: Remove the prepared pie tins from the refrigerator or freezer. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cherries to the chilled pie crust. Spread them out and pack them down lightly with the spoon. Pour the remaining juices evenly over the cherries.
6. Sprinkle the crumble topping evenly over the cherries. Transfer the pie tins to a baking sheet. Bake the mini pies in the oven for about 50 minutes, or until the juices are thick and bubbling up through the crumble topping. Remove to a wire rack and cool to room temperature before serving. Makes 6 mini-pies or one (9-inch) pie.