Thursday, January 27, 2011

Beyond Thundersnow



Weather seems to be all that anyone can talk about anywhere. We may have actually had some accumulation last night (and thundersnow!) but it's winter. That happens. Personally I don't mind because I don't have to shovel the end of my driveway where the incessant pass of snowplows makes the whole effort futile, like Sisyphus and his endless rock and rolling. Oh, and I don't have a driveway. But since it is cold outside, baby, you might as well make a cozy chili to keep you warm. Or wrap yourself up in a Snuggie. Whatever works for you.

Everyone seems to have a favorite chili recipe, but I'm not one of them. I mean, I enjoy the occasional crock for the most part, whether a beef, white chicken, or even vegetarian variation. Eh. But I
finally sampled one over Thanksgiving weekend that I thought was fantabulous and proceeded to comb the internet to find the recipe. And, guess what? The interwebs failed me.

I found what I assumed was the correct recipe based on the Thanksgiving chili maker's description, but there were some essential differences that were lacking in the final result. I am sharing this mistaken recipe with you anyway so that you will be able to see the difference when I get to make the perfected super delicious version...because I have just now managed to get my dirty mitts on the real recipe! In the meantime if you are snowed in, stop shoveling, make a snow fort, watch some bad daytime TV, and give this recipe a whirl.




BLT Chili
(Adapted from Laurent Tourondel)

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 pounds pork sausage, casings removed
2 medium onions, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons sweet paprika
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
1 tablespoon dried oregan
o
2 (28-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
2 (16-ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
2 cups water
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, chopped onion, pickled jalapeños and hot sauce, for serving

1. In an enameled cast-iron casserole, heat the oil. Add the sausage and cook over high heat, breaking it up, until browned, about 15 minutes.

2. Add the onions, bell pepper and garlic. Cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until the onion is translucent, 8 minutes.

3. Add the tomato paste and cook for 3 minutes. Add the chili powder, paprika, cumin and oregano and cook for 1 minute.

4. Add the tomatoes, beans, and water and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 1 hour. Season with salt and pepper. Serve the chili with cheddar, sour cream, onion, jalapeños, and hot sauce as desired. Serves about 8.

1 comment:

WendyB said...

I THOUGHT I heard some thundersnow. But I couldn't believe my ears!