Thursday, October 7, 2010

Don't Speak

Since I've had laryngitis for the past few days you'd think that I could at least write a blog post...but you'd be wrong! I haven't been cooking OR going out to eat. I have nothing to say. Literally. But while I try to mend by ordering takeout and eating super spicy Thai soups like Tom Yum Goong, I figured that I could at least share my latest discovery: THE BEST COFFEE ON PLANET EARTH.

Macaron Cafe is an unassuming fabulous little place on a crappy block on West 36th street. (Actually I think there might be another location uptown too.) I discovered it when I needed to find some macarons for a photo shoot for work. Since my assistant and I trekked all the way over there from our office, we decided to treat ourselves to an iced coffee for the walk back. Now iced coffee may not be the best predictor of the quality of coffee, but it was outstanding nonetheless. And fully loaded. We were bouncing off the walls for the next 12 hours.

After that unexpected experience, I dragged another co-worker to Macaron Cafe after a recent photo shoot in the neighborhood. This time I ordered a cappuccino, and it was 5:00 pm. I thought that I should have some caffeine before my 3 hour wine class, naively thinking that my last experience with hyperactivity was a fluke. My friend had a sip, deemed it the best coffee she ever had, and agreed that she too would never sleep again when I called her after my class at 10:30 pm. Aha!

I'm not saying that this coffee is the best ever simply because of the caffeine. It's because of the flavor, the freshness, the preparation...total perfection. The heightened alertness is simply a by-product. By the way, Macaron Cafe sells macarons too and they are delish, and super cute. (Don't they look like adorable little hamburgers??) My current fave is the caramel fleur de sel. Can't wait until I get better to actually taste food again!

Photos from macaroncafe.com

Caramel Fleur de Sel


Cassis


Cappuccino

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Where on 36th? Looks good. I am always looking for places to go in that area. Feel better!

Tina said...

It's 36th street at 7th avenue on the north side of the street. It's awesome!

Sharon said...

The macarons look delicious. But, you should come to Paris right now and try the macarons at Pierre Herme. I hope you feel better Tina.

Jennifer said...

Love the photos of the macroonies, but hands down, my favorite ones are still yours of course. The chocolate dipped ones. Lisa and I make batches of them for Passover and they are a huge hit! Feel better! Mwah!

WendyB said...

You told me about this place!