Monday, September 28, 2009

Cake for Breakfast?



My short term memory continues to fail me. I bought a container of buttermilk and have no idea why. Pancakes? Biscuits? I dunno. But since I am on this baking kick, I did a little research to figure out what to do with it. I found a simple 2-bowl recipe for a cake that is delicate yet satisfying. I think it could be equally delicious with a cup of tea for breakfast or with some fresh whipped cream for dessert. I know that I made it for some reason...



Raspberry Buttermilk Cake
(adapted from Gourmet)

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar, divided
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 large egg
1/2 cup well-shaken buttermilk
1 cup fresh raspberries (about 5 ounces)


1. Preheat the oven to 400°F with a rack in the middle. Butter and flour a 9-inch round cake pan.

2. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.

3. In a large bowl, beat the butter and 2/3 cup sugar with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes, then beat in the vanilla. Add the egg and beat well.

4. At low speed, mix in the flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the flour, and mixing until just combined.

5. Spoon the batter into the cake pan, smoothing the top. Scatter the raspberries evenly over the top and sprinkle with the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar.

6. Bake until the cake is golden and a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack and cool to warm, 10 to 15 minutes more. Invert onto a plate to serve. Serves 6 - 8.


1 comment:

Jennifer said...

My breakfasts sooo don't look like yours, not even close. I love the idea of having your meals in reverse. Makes for a sweet day.