Monday, August 24, 2009

Frites Frites

My weekend spent visiting friends in the City of Brotherly Love was a little too lovely. I'd really like to detox and/or fast right about now, but because I have no will-power, I'll instead just try not to eat french fries with every meal. And since not eating french fries with every meal starts with me not going out for every meal, I need to refocus on making simple meals at home. This tofu recipe is one of my favorite quick dinners. So...I'm hoping that after a little more healthy eating (emphasis on little) and a few (hundred) more visits to the gym, I'll be able to enjoy steak frites, moules frites...frites frites...daily. Without consequence. Won't I?



Red Coconut Curry Tofu

1 one-pound package extra-firm tofu
1/3 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup chicken stock (or vegetable stock or water)
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon red curry paste
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons peanut oil
Chopped scallions, optional
Cooked rice, optional

1. Drain the tofu and cut into eight equal slices. Pat dry with paper towels.

2. In a small bowl whisk together the coconut milk, stock, fish sauce, lime juice, curry paste and sugar. Set aside.

3. Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add the tofu and cook until golden brown, about 6 minutes. Turn over and cook for 5 minutes more.

4. Add the coconut milk mixture to the skillet and simmer, turning the tofu once, until the liquid has reduced to a thick glaze, about 4 minutes. Transfer the tofu to a serving platter and pour the glaze over the top. Garnish with scallions and serve with rice, if desired. Serves 4 as a first course, or 2 as a main course.

1 comment:

WendyB said...

Wait, are you trying to tell me french fries aren't awesomely nutritious?